Friday, December 25, 2009

Day 5 - Beginning to Turn Around

Christmas Day 2009, the day I did 3.3 miles and was able to walk above 4 miles an hour! Not for long periods of time, but I did it!

As I walked through the community on my way to gym this morning, I felt exceptionally alone. I could hear families in their homes celebrating joyously. People dressed up going to their cars. A man coming to pick his elderly mother, dressed in the classic Christmas sweatshirt painted with cardinals and snowy branches. No family to celebrate with for me this year. Nothing feels lonely quite like Christmas lonely.

On the upside: Not having a place to be or expecting anyone to show up meant I had plenty of time to work on myself this morning. Knowing full well holiday meals well surpass my recommended daily caloric intake I was prepared to push a little harder this morning. I doubled my usual calories burned, not only pushing the miles up but pushing my limits as well.

I went faster and at a steeper incline. About half way through I stopped to strech out a growing kink in my hamstring. Thought for a split second 'hmmm...maybe I should be done for today', filled up my water bottle and pushed on harder and stronger than before.

Could I be turning the first corner in my journey to becoming a follow through girl? I do hope so!

Goal for tomorrow: Work off tonight's rib steak!

No comments: