Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 48: All About Day 47

It's true what they say about taking care of yourself. When you do, good things will happen for you. I started this journey of Becoming a Follow Through Girl with the intention of making change in life. I did not realize the true significance in it. Because I had never embarked on such a journey, I could not grasp the power I held to effect to my own change.

Over the past 48 days I have: grown more confident, become stronger, said goodbye life long hypertension, come to terms with giving up cigarettes, obtained employment and given myself a sense of pride never before felt.

As I move along through these changes I began to question whether my largest goal is large enough. 13.1 miles is not as far away as it seemed in the beginning. The distance has not changed. 13.1 is 13.1. It's the vehicle that has changed.

I waited so long to come forward with my decision because I needed to be certain I was on the right path. I needed the Idea Girl to stop being the one who always wins. The one who gets in my way of completion. I needed to be sure I was doing this for myself and not instant gratification. In finally realizing I was the only one who's opinion mattered in the choices I make for my life, I have inadvertently grown more positive opinions from others.

Yesterday my cousin sat next to me, big smile on his face. "I'm really proud of you and excited for your 1/2 marathon. It's on my 19th birthday and we're all coming to see you finish". My heart filled up immediately. To have someone, like him, realizing what this means to me and being there to offer support was totally unexpected and wonderful. Imagine spending your 19th birthday supporting your 30-something year old cousin. Selfless.

So today I'm going to give it even more than I thought I had. I'm going to push harder knowing in the end I hold more power than I can imagine. Locked doors will not stop me because the key is in my hand. I'll do it for myself, the Follow Through Girl, and I'll do it to inspire him the way he has inspired me.

1 comment:

Furry Bottoms said...

Poke poke poke. How has life been lately? How is the new job?